Re: is this a bug or I am blind?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Mage <mage(at)mage(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date: 2005-12-15 13:35:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Mage wrote:
> online=# select * from common_logins where username = 'potyty';
> online=# select * from common_logins where username like 'potyty';

It's probably worth seeing whether these have different plans (EXPLAIN
ANALYSE...) and if the = is using an index but like isn't.
If so, try issuing "set enable_indexscan=false" first and see what
happens then.

If that makes a difference then I'd guess you have one of two things:
1. A corrupt index (check the REINDEX command)
2. (perhaps more likely) Some localisation issues.
What encoding/locale settings are you using?

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd