Re: Concurrent CREATE INDEX, try 2 (was Re: Reducing relation locking

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Concurrent CREATE INDEX, try 2 (was Re: Reducing relation locking
Date: 2005-12-08 20:34:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> ...REINDEX...CREATE/DROP INDEX...

I'm curious if partitioning can help help
provide online create/reindex.

For example, if I could set set up a table
partitioned by "modified time"; could I make
a new partition so all new inserts go into a
new partition and then I can re-index / create-index
on the old partitions concurrently because only
reads and deletes would be happening on that
old table?

The new partition would have a new index anyway
so no reindex would even be needed on that part.