Using native win32 psql.exe using alternative cygwin terminal

From: Richard van den Berg <richard(dot)vandenberg(at)trust-factory(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using native win32 psql.exe using alternative cygwin terminal
Date: 2005-11-04 10:50:38
Lists: pgsql-general

I just installed postgresql 8.1-rc1 on a Windows 2003 machine. Since I
like psql a lot, and hate the cmd.exe terminal, I use puttycyg instead.

When I tried using psql.exe in a puttycyg terminal, after entering my
password for the database, the screen just "hangs". When I do the same
from a cygwin cmd.exe terminal, everything works. Another detail: the
password using cmd.exe is hidden, using puttycyg it is shown.

The exact same behaviour is shown when using the OpenSSH daemon (under
cygwin) and logging in to it from remote (putty client or OpenSSH client).

It looks like there is a problem with the interactive mode. When I run:

psql -d postgres -c 'select * from pg_tables limit 1;'

the output is shown just fine. I tried different TERM settings, but they
made no difference.

Is there something I can do to make this combination work? I'd gladly do
more tests..

Sincerely,

--
Richard van den Berg, CISSP