Re: Indexen on 8.0.3

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Indexen on 8.0.3
Date: 2005-10-10 16:58:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> han(dot)holl(at)informationslogik(dot)nl writes:
>> After upgrading to 8.0.3 I see very poor performance on several indexes.
>> Database was recently analyzed. Clearly, something has to be tuned that didn't
>> need tuning on 7.4.3 ? (Main table has about 1.7 million records).
>
> No, there's no reason for 8.0 to be slower at this than 7.4, if all else
> is equal. I'm betting that all else is not equal. Maybe you are using
> a different encoding or locale in the new installation than the old?

Mmm, sure 8.0 is not slower than 7.4 in certain scenarios?

Consider:

select f1(id), f2(id), ..., fn(id) from my_view;

where fi is eligible for be marked as "STABLE" but is not.

In 8.0 in that select are involved n+1 snapshots instead of one as it
in 7.4. Could this be a performance issue ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola