Re: Oracle buys Innobase

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-08 15:57:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On 10/8/2005 4:34 AM, Andreas Kretschmer wrote:

> Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> schrieb:
>> Ultimately, MySQL should drop InnoDB.
>
> http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?3,48400,48400#msg-48400
>
> InnoDB is GPL. But, i'm also confused.
>
> My guess: a fork in the future.

This whole GPL forking thing is still the same as it was before. One can
only take the last version, released under GPL, and build a GPL-only
project based on it.

Oracle bought the copyright of InnoDB with the company. So if anything
goes wrong during their upcoming relicensing talk, MySQL can of course
fork off a GPL version of InnoDB, but that fork cannot be included in
their commercial version of MySQL. What value would that fork have for
them then? Using a pure GPL fork of InnoDB is in conflict with their own
licensing scheme and I don't think MySQL is in the position to say bye
to dual licensing.

To have a really good position when talking to Oracle, MySQL will need
to brush up on the BDB support, and that pretty quick.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #