[Off Topic] Swing vs SWT

From: Dan Armbrust <daniel(dot)armbrust(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Schmidt <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [Off Topic] Swing vs SWT
Date: 2005-10-07 18:27:10
Lists: pgsql-general

<head>
</head>
Michael Schmidt wrote:
type="cite">
<!--[gte IE 5]><?xml:namespace prefix="v" /><?xml:namespace prefix="o" /><![endif]-->
of swing?</div>
<tt>I'm pretty sure this is completely off topic, but I'll indulge it -
I've done development using Swing and SWT - and I find SWT's APIs to be
much cleaner, intuitive, and easy to use.&nbsp; Manual GUI development is
much quicker with SWT&nbsp; and results in much less code that is far more
readable.&nbsp; Also, SWT layout managers are _much_ easier to use than the
crud that comes with Swing from Sun.<br>
Side note - if you do have to do Swing development, I highly recommend
using the JGoodies forms package - it is a layout manager for Swing </tt>that
is far and away better than trying to do things with Swing layout
managers -&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/index.html">http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/forms/index.html</a><br>
As an example, I rewrote some forms that were 800 lines of code using
GridBagLayout into about 150 lines of code using JGoodies.&nbsp; And the
JGoodies code is far more readable.<br>
Back to SWT - Swing still just looks like crud when compared
side-by-side with native Windows applications.&nbsp; Especially in windows
XP - Sun still doesn't have the Windows XP Look and Feel implemented
properly.&nbsp; And if a user applies a custom XP skin, then it really looks
strange.&nbsp; The file choosers don't look or work like native Windows XP
file choosers.&nbsp;&nbsp; And when windows "super duper 5.0" comes out next
year, I'm sure it will only take sun another 3 years or so to write the
new look and Feel.&nbsp; Meanwhile, your apps just look weird.&nbsp; SWT Apps
_always_ look exactly like the OS look and feel - because it uses the
native OS widgets.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; You can also embed Swing parts into a SWT
application if you need to.<br>
When I write a SWT application, most of my users don't even know it is
a java application.&nbsp; It just looks like a normal "windows"
application.&nbsp; You can also launch SWT apps using Java WebStart, or, if
you don't want to use webstart, you combine your app, SWT, and
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://jsmooth.sourceforge.net/">http://jsmooth.sourceforge.net/</a> and suddenly you have a native windows
executable for your users.&nbsp; All of javas ugly bits are safely hidden
away from your end user.<br>
If you want to compare a Swing application (written using JGoodies
looks and JGoodies look and feel - which does a better job than Suns
look and feel at looking like Windows XP) side by side with a similar
SWT application - take a look at these two apps:<br>
(scroll down to the webstart links)<br>
(ps - these apps aren't supposed to be masterpieces of user interface
design - they are just utilities for techie types using LexGrid)<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=convert">http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=convert</a><br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=indexer">http://informatics.mayo.edu/LexGrid/index.php?page=indexer</a><br>
Especially pay attention to the speed and appearance of the file
choosers (click the "Browse..". button) - to enable the second file
chooser in the Indexer Creator app - go to the "Options" menu and
choose "Build Normalized Index"<br>
Another awesome gui that is written in SWT (and most end users don't
even know its written in Java)<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://azureus.sourceforge.net/">http://azureus.sourceforge.net/</a><br>
And a couple more - to finish with a little bit of relevance to
PostgreSQL<br>
A database designer plugin for Eclipse&nbsp; (which is all written in SWT)&nbsp;
- supports PostgreSQL:<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.azzurri.jp/en/software/clay/index.jsp">http://www.azzurri.jp/en/software/clay/index.jsp</a><br>
Another database plugin for Eclipse that lets you work with a
PostgreSQL database.<br>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://quantum.sourceforge.net/screen_shots.html">http://quantum.sourceforge.net/screen_shots.html</a> <br>
Dan<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">