Re: US Census database (Tiger 2004FE) - 4.4G

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Subject: Re: US Census database (Tiger 2004FE) - 4.4G
Date: 2005-08-04 18:41:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Woodward wrote:
> It is 4.4G in space in a gzip package.
>
> I'll mail a DVD to two people who promise to host it for Hackers.

Would it be easier to release the program you did to do
this conversion?

I use this pretty short (274 line) C program:
http://www.forensiclogic.com/tmp/tgr2sql.c
to convert the raw tiger files
from http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html
into SQL statements that can be loaded by postgresql.

The #define SQL line controls if it makes data
with INSERT statements or for COPY statements.