Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Mark Rinaudo <mark(at)bowmansystems(dot)com>
Cc: postgres performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Subject: Re: Postgresql on an AMD64 machine
Date: 2005-06-06 23:48:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mark Rinaudo wrote:
> I'm running the Redhat Version of Postgresql which came pre-installed
> with Redhat ES. It's version number is 7.3.10-1. I'm not sure what
> options it was compiled with. Is there a way for me to tell?

`pg_config --configure` in recent releases.

> Should i just compile my own postgresql for this platform?

Yes, I would. 7.4 was the first release to include support for proper
spinlocks on AMD64.

(From a Redhat POV, it would probably be a good idea to patch 7.3 to
include the relatively trivial changes needed for decent AMD64
performance, assuming that shipping a more recent version of PG with ES
isn't an option.)

-Neil