Re: index row size 2728 exceeds btree maximum, 2713

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: dpandey(at)secf(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, 'PostgreSQL' <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index row size 2728 exceeds btree maximum, 2713
Date: 2005-06-02 09:58:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Dinesh Pandey wrote:
> -----------+-----------------------+-----------
> Column | Type
> -----------+-----------------------+-----------
> scan_id | bigint
> host_ip | character varying(15)
> port_num | integer
> plugin_id | integer
> severity | character varying(50)
> data | text

> "pk_scanned_port_info" PRIMARY KEY, btree (scan_id, host_ip, port_num,
> plugin_id, severity, data)
>
> On inserting record I am getting this error "index row size 2728 exceeds
> btree maximum, 2713"

Well - the error message is clear enough. The question is, what to do.

Without knowing what the table "means", it's difficult to say what the
primary-key should be, but it seems unlikely to include an
unlimited-length text-field called "data".

If the data itself doesn't offer any suitable candidate keys (as can
well be the case) then common practice is to generate a unique number
and use that as an ID - in PostgreSQL's case by use of the SERIAL
pseudo-type.

Does that help?
--
Richard Huxton