Re: postmaster fails to start

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Dweck Nir <Nir(dot)Dweck(at)tadirantele(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postmaster fails to start
Date: 2005-05-25 09:06:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Dweck Nir wrote:
> Hi,
> I need urgent help.
> I am using PostgreSQL version 8.0.1.
> postmaster fails to start and the log file looks as follow:
>
> LOG: database system was shut down at 2005-05-24 15:50:46 MSD
> LOG: checkpoint record is at 1/8D117BE4
> LOG: redo record is at 1/8D117BE4; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG: next transaction ID: 3859443; next OID: 1904360

Actually, it might be possible to use the PITR system to restore up to
just before the error (the transaction-id above might be a good start
point).

You'll want to move your WAL files to a different directory so it looks
like they've been copied from another machine. See this section of the
manuals for details of how to set up the recovery. Take your time
reading it thoroughly.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/backup-online.html

IMPORTANT - make sure you have a backup copy of the entire data
directory before trying this.

A warning - I've not tried this particular idea out, but as long as you
can partially replay the first WAL file, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd