Re: View vs function

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: Keith Worthington <KeithW(at)NarrowPathInc(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: View vs function
Date: 2005-03-21 05:13:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Functions are just black boxes to the planner.

... unless the function is a SQL function that is trivial enough for the
planner to inline it into the plan of the invoking query. Currently, we
won't inline set-returning SQL functions that are used in the query's
rangetable, though. This would be worth doing, I think -- I'm not sure
how much work it would be, though.

-Neil