Re: How to read query plan

From: Miroslav Šulc <miroslav(dot)sulc(at)startnet(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: How to read query plan
Date: 2005-03-14 16:33:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:

>Just FYI, I did a quick search-and-replace on your dump to replace
>varchar(1) by "char", which makes the column fixed-width without any
>change in the visible data. This made hardly any difference in the
>join speed though :-(. So that is looking like a dead end.

I'll try to change the data type to bool but the problem I stand in
front of is that the code expects that SELECTs return 'Y' or 'N' but
what I have found out till now is that PostgreSQL returns 't' or 'f' for
bool data. I think about some solution but they use CPU :-(

>John's idea about re-joining to the main table to pick up the bulk of
>its fields only after joining to the sub-tables might work.

I'll try that. It seems it could work.

> regards, tom lane

Miroslav

Attachment Content-Type Size
miroslav.sulc.vcf text/x-vcard 387 bytes