Re: Cost of XLogInsert CRC calculations

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mark Cave-Ayland <m(dot)cave-ayland(at)webbased(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cost of XLogInsert CRC calculations
Date: 2005-03-11 18:31:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One of the things I was thinking about was whether we could use up those
> cycles more effectively. If we were to include a compression routine
> before we calculated the CRC that would
> - reduce the size of the blocks to be written, hence reduce size of xlog
> - reduce the following CRC calculation
>
> I was thinking about using a simple run-length encoding to massively
> shrink half-empty blocks with lots of zero padding, but we've already
> got code to LZW the data down also.
>
> Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Simon,

I think having a compression routine in there could make real sense.
We have done some major I/O testing involving compression for a large
customer some time ago. We have seen that compressing / decompressing on
the fly is in MOST cases much faster than uncompressed I/O (try a simple
"cat file | ..." vs." zcat file.gz | ...") - the zcat version will be
faster on all platforms we have tried (Linux, AIX, Sun on some SAN
system, etc. ...).
Also, when building up a large database within one transaction the xlog
will eat a lot of storage - this can be quite annoying when you have to
deal with a lot of data).
Are there any technical reasons which would prevent somebody from
implementing compression?

Best regards,

Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria