Re: Operator class group proposal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Operator class group proposal
Date: 2006-12-16 16:48:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> How about "hyperclass" then? :-) Maybe "school" :-D

So I finally went and looked at a thesaurus, and came up with some
possibilities:

category variety family crowd cluster flock pack troop gang clique
circle cabal association society union ensemble

"Operator family" seems like it might be a good choice.
One small problem with it is that in biology, "family" is a smaller
group than "class" ... but if we want to follow the biologists,
the only bigger groups than classes are "phylums" and "kingdoms",
neither of which seem like good words to use.

"Operator cluster" isn't too bad either, except that it might create
confusion with the other index-related meaning of "cluster".