Re: High end server and storage for a PostgreSQL OLTP system

From: Cosimo Streppone <cosimo(at)streppone(dot)it>
To: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql Performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: High end server and storage for a PostgreSQL OLTP system
Date: 2005-02-01 21:00:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Merlin Moncure wrote:

> Corollary: use pl/pgsql. It can be 10 times or more faster than query
> by query editing.

Merlin, thanks for your good suggestions.

By now, our system has never used "stored procedures" approach,
due to the fact that we're staying on the minimum common SQL features
that are supported by most db engines.
I realize though that it would provide an heavy performance boost.

> You also have the parse/bind interface

This is something I have already engineered in our core classes
(that use DBI + DBD::Pg), so that switching to 8.0 should
automatically enable the "single-prepare, multiple-execute" behavior,
saving a lot of query planner processing, if I understand correctly.

--
Cosimo