Re: pl/pgsql oddity

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql oddity
Date: 2004-12-16 17:27:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com> writes:
>
>>Tom also suggested just adding 'elseif' as an alternative for 'elsif'.
>>That sounds like it would be worth doing.
>

> I think we should go ahead and do that for 8.0. I'm getting tired of
> reading reports that stem from this mistake (I think this is the third
> one in the past month ...). I can't see any real downside to accepting
> both spellings, can you?

Well, you end up with the opposite problem. Someone has a issue and is
focusing on the spelling of elseif (elsif), because the google searches
they've done happen to come up with a different spelling then what
they're using. So, they're looking for a solution in the wrong place.

I don't know of any other language that permits multiple spellings for
the same construct. I'd be concerned with starting such a precedent.

Now I'm sure someone will post back with some valid examples from other
languages. :(

--
Until later, Geoffrey