Re: Question

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Franco Bruno Borghesi <franco(at)akyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question
Date: 2004-11-13 22:51:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:

> As you see, in my current code I have no way to know to which datatype
> the field maps to. So, is there any easy/generic way to set NULLs, no
> matter what datatype the field is?

No. The driver has exactly the same problem as you ran into, namely that
there's no way to infer a type given just a bare null.

You should provide a SQL Types value via setNull(i,type) or
setObject(i,null,type). You may want to change your API to pass down
type information when you are dealing with nulls.

The backend does have a mechanism to infer the type of a parameter, but
it's sufficiently unpredictable for arbitary queries that we decided not
to use it in the driver, given that the rest of JDBC is quite strongly
typed.

-O