OT - Validating Regular Expression in java

From: David Gagnon <dgagnon(at)siunik(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OT - Validating Regular Expression in java
Date: 2004-11-04 15:07:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

I know it's not directly the purpose of this list, so I apologize, but
I think you guys are the ones who can help me :-)

My web site offers a search which supports regular expression (POSIX).
I'm looking for a way to validate the regular expression in the
application before sending it the the DB. For now Postgresql throwing
an error on invalid regular expression.

I tried with the gnu-regexp frameworks, It works partly but it's not
full proof since an invalid caracter class like [[:awefaewf:]]* is not
flagged as an error but causes an error with Postgresql.

Any help on this matter will be appreciated. I'm sure it's a common
problem and have been addressed before ... I searched but haven't found
the answer yet.

Thanks for your help

/David