Re: Very strange Error in Updates

From: "Dario V(dot) Fassi" <software(at)sistemat(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Very strange Error in Updates
Date: 2004-07-15 06:34:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

Server 7.3.4 for W2K and Linux too.
Encoding SQL_ASCII in both cases.

I understand the source of the problem , but the ASCII encoding are
not 7 bits , it has 8 bits with international charsets in codepages,
like values in examples.
You are talking about US-ASCII charset , that is a Unicode subset of 7 bits.

No matter that , and speaking in CHARS , if I'm putting a 30 chars
length string at a field of 30 chars length ,
I think that the driver can/must assure, a 30 chars length string transfer.
May be a "data truncation" warning can be acceptable, or a replacement
byte/char, or cutting the eight bit ,
but it's no sufficient reason to abort the update.

What 's your opinion ?

Dario.

Kris Jurka wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Dario V. Fassi wrote:
>

>>Kris Jurka wrote:
>>
>>Kris, the value of field is originate from a DB2 v6.1 with encoding
>>IBM-850 (Ascii PC), I don't believe that the value are unicode.
>>

>I mean that java and the jdbc driver internally represent strings with
>unicode. If any of the data has the high bit set (ASCII values > 127)
>then the jdbc driver will send it as two bytes or more because it uses
>UTF-8. Normally the server will convert it from UTF-8 to the database's
>encoding, but if the database is SQL_ASCII it doesn't know how to convert
>it and must keep it as two bytes. You have not told us what your
>database's encoding is yet.
>
>Kris Jurka

Dario V. Fassi

SISTEMATICA ingenieria de software srl
<http://www.sistemat.com.ar>Ituzaingo 1628 (2000) Rosario, Santa Fe,
Argentina.
Tel / Fax: +54 (341) 485.1432 / 485.1353