Re: Availability of a Signed Version of postgresql.jar

From: "Dario V(dot) Fassi" <software(at)sistemat(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Availability of a Signed Version of postgresql.jar
Date: 2004-07-08 23:58:42
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

For "Trusted Java applications" and "J2EE Client applications" , any
jar deployed with (or part of) the application must be signed.

For JavaWebStart applications , if you need to deploy the postgresql.jar
as a component of the application , then must be signed, otherwise all
the application is considered "Not trusted".

Of course , anyone can sign postgresql.jar with their own certificate
(or self signed certificate), but how in JavaWebStart the certificate
is presented to the user for acceptance , will be better if the
certificate belong to the official organization.

If the development group don't have a real certificate , since the
development group is a non-profit organization, I think that Verising or
any other certification authority can donate one.

--

Dario V. Fassi

SISTEMATICA ingenieria de software srl
<http://www.sistemat.com.ar>Ituzaingo 1628 (2000) Rosario, Santa Fe,
Argentina.
Tel / Fax: +54 (341) 485.1432 / 485.1353