Re: [bug fix] "pg_ctl stop" times out when it should respond quickly

From: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [bug fix] "pg_ctl stop" times out when it should respond quickly
Date: 2013-12-04 12:01:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> I think the reason why it was coded like that was that we hadn't written
> postmaster_is_alive() yet, or maybe we had but didn't want to trust it.
> However, with the coding you have here, we're fully exposed to any failure
> modes postmaster_is_alive() may have; so there's not a lot of value in
> accepting those and get_pgpid's failure modes too.

Thank you for reviewing the patch so quickly. You are right, I don't think
get_pgpid() here is no longer necessary. If the pid changes in one second,
i.e. the original postgres terminates and "pg_ctl start" starts another one,
"pg_ctl stop" can terminate successfully because the original postgres it
was waiting for actually terminated.

I'll submit the revised patch tomorrow.

Regards
MauMau