Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-18 15:07:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 2004, Robert Treat wrote:
>

>>Just like Bruce has often asked the community how they feel about him
>>balancing his time between things like speaking engagements and patch
>>applications, core developers have a limited amount of time they can
>>spend on any given development effort. If I had to pick (If I got to
>>pick?), I would rather see Bruce/Tom/Jan working on helping these guys
>>finish PITR/WIN32/Tablespaces/etc... than working on closing the 7.5
>>branch.
>>

>Except you miss one key point here ... if Bruce/Tom/Jan have that sort of
>time, why aren't they doing it now?

Well I think you might of missed his point. His point was if he could
pick their priorities. I would kind
of agree with Robert except that there are other dynamics involved...
Jan works for Afilias thus does
what Afilias directs him to do and what that is right now is Slony-I.

Tom works for RedHat but from what I can tell is basically a rogue agent
;). However if Tom stops
works what he is doing to help with PITR etc... I think a lot of the
innner world of PostgreSQL would
simply stop (if I am wrong please correct me). Bruce --- well what can
you say about Bruce ;).

Seriously though, we all have the roles that we play. I don't think
redirecting specific resources to other
resources will help beyond slowing up the original resources.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake