Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-05-17 14:17:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hans-Jürgen Schönig wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>>I can't poll for everything. I make my own educated guesses.
>>

>> Based on what though?
>>
>> All the clients that I deal with on a daily basis generally care about is
>> performance ... that is generally what they upgrade for ... so, my
>> 'educated guess' based on real world users is that Win32, PITR and nested
>> transactions are not important ... tablespaces, I have one client that has
>> asked about something *similar* to it, but tablespaces, for him, doesn't
>> come close to what they would like to see ...
>>
>> So, my 'educated guess' is different then yours is ... does that make
>> yours wrong? Nope ... just means we have different sample sets to work
>> with ...
>>

> Interesting.
> We have made COMPLETELY different experiences.
>
> There is one question people ask me daily: "When can we have sychronous
> replication and PITR?".
> Performance is not a problem here. People are more interested in
> stability and "enterprise" features such as those I have mentioned above.
>
> I am still wondering about two things:
> Somebody has posted a 2PC patch - I haven't seen too many comments
> Somebody has posted sync multimaster replication (PgCluster) - nobody
> has commented on that. Maybe I am the only one who has ever tried it ...

Do you really need someone "commenting" on query based replication? I
get goosebumps from just thinking someone would voluntarily push all
sequence- or timestamp-generation and other not strictly deterministic
functionality into the application to be able to use such a "solution".
This is exactly how people work around all the MySQL idiosyncrasies.

> Most likely this is not very encourageing for the developers involved ...

Most hopefully this is very discouraging! Connection pools are a nice
thing and I have used pgpool recently with great success, for pooling
connections. But attempting to deliver multimaster replication as a
byproduct of a connection pool isn't going to become an enterprise
feature. And the more half-baked, half-functional and half-reliable
replication attempts there are, the harder it will be to finally get a
real solution being recognized.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #