Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-07 15:47:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> writes:
> The curre nt *plan* is for a 14 month cycle. And it will probably
> slip. Some of the queued items are going to be very old by the time
> you go to 8.4 on this program, which seems a shame.

What? The plan is to deal with them next month (in the first commit
fest). The point of what I was saying is that a large fraction of what
is in the queue is not committable yet. We are not going to commit it
anyway just to get it out of the queue --- what we're going to do is
review it and send it back to the authors with suggestions for rework.
If they don't get the rework done by November, their patches won't get
into 8.4, but that's hardly the fault of the proposed process.

As for "probably slip", the entire point of this process change is
that we're not going to allow schedule slippage as readily as we
have in the past.