Re: [patch] build issues on Win32

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des(at)des(dot)no>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] build issues on Win32
Date: 2010-03-11 12:44:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/3/10 David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>:
>> > --disable-shared, as previously mentioned.
>>
>> Oh.  Well, we don't really support that, and there is a proposal on
>> the table to remove it altogether from the configure script.  I
>> don't think we're going to contort our source code in order to make
>> a marginal improvement in the ability to coexist with random other
>> code that is also polluting the link-time namespace.
>
> +1 for de-supporting this option.

I would be sad about this. It seems likely there are platforms where
it's important. But I'm not really about to spend the effort to fix it
up myself and I agree it wouldn't be worth hacking the source to get
it to work. I'm a bit puzzled why the symbol conflicts occur only with
static linking though -- it seems like static linking would give more
opportunity to isolate symbols than dynamic linking, not less. Perhaps
our static linking rules are broken?

--
greg