Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL

From: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make standby server continuously retry restoring the next WAL
Date: 2010-02-12 17:47:49
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

so I from by like having the server doing the cleanup because it down by
necessarily have the while picture. it down nt know of it is the only
replica reading these log files our if the site policy is to keep them for
disaster recovery purposes.

I like having this as an return val command though. Or alternately now that
we have read-only replicas you could implement this by polling the slaves
and asking them what log position they are up to.

greg

On 12 Feb 2010 17:25, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> wrote:

> Attached patch implements pg_standby for use as an
> archive_cleanup_command, reusing existing cod...

> Happy to add the archive_cleanup_command into main server as well, if
> you like. Won't take long....
Would it be possible to have the server do the cleanup (and the cp for
that matter) on its own or use a script?

Either have archive_cleanup = on and either an commented out (empty)
archive_cleanup_command and the same for the restore_command, or a
special magic value, like 'postgresql' to activate the internal one.

This way we have both a zero config working default setup and the
flexibility to adapt to any archiving solution our user might already be
using.

A default archive_command would be nice too. Like you give it a
directory name or a rsync path and it does the basic right thing.

I'm not sure my detailed approach is the right one, but the birdview is
to have the simple case really simple to setup, and the complex cases
still possible. Default included archive, restore and cleanup commands
would be awesome.

Oh, and the basic simple case actually is with a remote standby. Without
NFS or the like, no shared mount point for archiving.

dim