Re: alpha3 release schedule?

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Hiroyuki Yamada <yamada(at)kokolink(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alpha3 release schedule?
Date: 2009-12-22 11:41:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> If you are saying being able to start Hot Standby from a shutdown
> checkpoint is an important feature for you, then say so, and why.

Can you explain the consequences of missing this? It sounds to me like
if I lose my master and it happened to be while it was shut down for
whatever reason then I'll be stuck and won't be able to use my
standby. If that's true it seems like it's a major problem. Or does it
just mean I would have to follow a different procedure when failing
over?

I'm not sure if it's relevant but one thing to realize is that a lot
of MySQL people are used to doing failovers to do regular maintenance
tasks like creating indexes or making schema changes. Besides,a lot of
sites build in regular failovers to ensure that their failover
procedure works. In both cases they usually want to do a clean shut
down of the master to ensure they don't lose any transactions during
the failover.

--
greg