Re: Rejecting weak passwords

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, mlortiz <mlortiz(at)uci(dot)cu>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Rejecting weak passwords
Date: 2009-10-16 17:06:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Personally I think the calculator/wires approach is better from an
> engineering perspective, but it can be a handicap in the user experience
> and checkbox categories --- ease of use is perhaps not our strong point.
> Much of our open source value is being different, in both cost,
> reliability, and configurability.

I don't really see this as an either-or proposition. The calculator
with buttons still has wires inside, someone had to hack on the wiring
to get the functionality working. Someone else with an inclination
toward marketing put shiny buttons on it. I'm pretty happy to be in
the first group and since Postgres has a BSD license people in the
second group are free to work on shiny buttons.

The discussion at hand is an unusual situation where the priorities
conflict because supporting a particular shiny button requires ripping
out some useful wiring. In the long run I think having the wiring
right is more valuable than some shiny buttons today.

--
greg