Re: PostgreSQL configuration

From: Joseph Tate <jtate(at)dragonstrider(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Date: 2004-04-08 15:23:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> I've recently had some very unpleasant experiences trying to install
> test versions of MySQL on machines that already had older versions
> installed normally. It seems that MySQL *will* read /etc/my.cnf if it
> exists, whether it's appropriate or not, and so it's impossible to have
> a truly independent test installation, even though you can configure it
> to build/install into nonstandard directories. Let's not emulate that
> bit of brain damage.
>
> regards, tom lane

It seems to me that this is a packaging problem and not a postgresql
problem. If someone wants to package PostgreSQL so that there's a
symlink to a config file in /etc/pgsql or vice versa for the main
database they're welcome to do that, and why not? As for test
databases, there's already a -D for the datadir, why not add a -C for
the config file as many software packages allow. Then packagers could
put the config file anywhere they wanted. I would certainly welcome
this feature as it would allow for easy tweaking/benchmarking.

I agree that we should avoid the viral-like MySQL configuration plague.

As to pgsql AT mohawksoft.com requested, here are a few widely used
software packages that keep configuration close to the data, some in
/var, some in /usr:

Mailman
OpenSSL
Cyrus-IMAP
Apache I believe doesn't install anything to /etc/ when you build from
source.