Re: locale

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: locale
Date: 2004-04-07 19:36:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org> writes:
>

>>From what I can tell there is only 3 tables we talk about:
>> pg_database
>> pg_shadow
>> pg_group
>>

>If that were so, we'd not have a problem. The reason we have to tread
>very carefully is that we do not know what tables/indexes users might
>have added to template1. If we copy a text index into a new database
>and claim that it is sorted by some new locale, we'd be breaking things.

Wouldn't reindex correct that? If so, it could be forced with a flag on
"create database" maybe, or else some test to compare the two locale
settings and force it if necessary?

>In any case, the whole idea is substantially inferior to the correct
>solution, which is per-column locale settings within databases. That
>does what we want, is required functionality per SQL spec, and avoids
>problems during CREATE DATABASE. It's just a tad harder to do :-(

Yeah. But everything higher than the table level can surely be finessed
with differrent locations / databases. Not having this right (i.e. at
the column level) is a great pity, to say the least.

cheers

andrew