Re: Problem in calling prepare statement from STORED PROCEDURE

From: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: Rajat Katyal <rajatk(at)intelesoftech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem in calling prepare statement from STORED PROCEDURE
Date: 2004-04-03 13:13:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Inside a stored procedure EXECUTE runs a dynamic query,

DOCS SAY:

Oftentimes you will want to generate dynamic commands inside your
PL/pgSQL functions, that is, commands that will involve different tables
or different data types each time they are executed. PL/pgSQL's normal
attempts to cache plans for commands will not work in such scenarios. To
handle this sort of problem, the EXECUTE statement is provided:

EXECUTE command-string;

where command-string is an expression yielding a string (of type text)
containing the command to be executed. This string is fed literally to
the SQL engine.

Really not sure how to execute a named plan inside plpgsql.

Regds
mallah.