Re: pg_autovacuum next steps

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum next steps
Date: 2004-03-22 22:30:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>If you aren't a backend then you couldn't safely access shared memory,
>including FSM in particular. I see no reason you couldn't use GUC
>though. There is no "direct pipe connection" to the stats collector,
>except in the output direction which is not what you want, so I'm not
>seeing your point there.

I probably said that wrong, but how do backends get their stats data?
Meaning, when I do a "select * from pg_stat_all_tables" how is the
backend getting that data. The reason I'm interested is that if I don't
have to fire up a backend just to check the stats that would reduce the
load associated with the autovacuum daemon. Someone earlier in the
thread seemed to imply there was a way to do this.

>I am not sure that lack of FSM access is a showstopper, though. We
>could easily imagine inventing backend commands to read out whatever
>info you want from FSM, so you could request the info from your
>connected backend.

Yeah I agree, and for phase 1 we can just continue working only on stats
data.

>The more I think about this the more I like it --- it keeps the autovac
>control code still at arms length from the backend which will surely
>ease development and experimentation. I suppose there is some overhead
>in pushing data back and forth over the FE/BE protocol, but surely that
>would be negligible next to the "real work" of vacuuming.

Right, I think the overhead would be negligible. Since you seem to
think this is (or at least might be) a good idea, I will go ahead and
try to get the postmaster to fire-up the autovacuum daemon. So that the
1st cut, will basically be pg_autovacuum exactly as it stands now, just
launched by the postmaster.

Also, you didn't mention if I will be able to use the backend logging
functions, I would guess that I can, but I'm not totally sure.

Thanks again,

Matthew