Re: Advice regarding configuration parameters

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advice regarding configuration parameters
Date: 2004-02-06 17:07:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>Am Freitag, 6. Februar 2004 10:27 schrieb Thomas Hallgren:
>>>1. Something similar to postgresql.conf (it's not extendable though, is
>>>it?)
>
>>No, it is not.
>
> In principle it could be --- the mechanisms already exist in guc.c to
> permit outside agents to add variables. The difficulty in having a PL
> handler add such variables is that there is no good way to get the
> handler to run before postgresql.conf is scanned for the first time,
> and if it isn't then GUC will error out on the "unknown" variable name.

I had started down this road about a year ago (i.e. had a partial
patch), for exactly the same reason Thomas is interested -- I wanted it
for PL/R. But the consensus at the time seemed to be that it wouldn't be
accepted so I gave up on it. I still think it is a good idea and that
the difficulties can be worked out.

Joe