Re: Determining when a row was inserted

From: ptjm(at)interlog(dot)com (Patrick TJ McPhee)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Determining when a row was inserted
Date: 2005-06-05 01:20:45
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <33c6269f05060312363ff334df(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>,
Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

% I really wasn't suggesting it be put in the table structure at the DB level,
% more a sidebar suggestion for people building schemas for companies. I can't
% count the number of times I've been asked when something was inserted and we
% didn't have an answer for the question. Wouldn't it be nice for a change to
% be _ahead_ of the game?

Just sticking a time stamp on the row doesn't solve this problem, though,
unless you preclude the possibility of the row being updated. Typically,
someone wants to know when a particular field held a particular value,
and you need an audit table for that.

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
North York Canada