Re: Assertion failure in walreceiver

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, "<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assertion failure in walreceiver
Date: 2010-02-25 08:04:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> I have one question. Do we support starting an archive recovery and
>> standby server from a cold backup (not a base backup taken by online
>> backup)? Though I think they would work and be very useful, I'm not
>> sure they are safe.
>
> I don't see why not. We support that in PITR, streaming replication is
> just another way of getting the logs to the server.

I thought that because, AFAIK, there is no document about initial startup
of PITR from a cold backup. But I'd be happy if it's supported. After
failover happens, previous primary server might be able to become standby
from its old data without taking a new backup from new primary.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center