Postgre vs MySQL

From: "Manuel W(dot)" <manuel*NOSPAM*(at)thunder(dot)ch>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgre vs MySQL
Date: 2002-07-04 22:08:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi everyone,
I know this might be a stupid question. I'm migrating a part of our MS SQL
database to PostgreSQL. I first also evaluated MySQL, but without subselect
support it was unusable for our company (we have many, many queries making
use of subqueries, eventhough it's maybe not optimized for speed but more
practical to read for several reasons).

Besides this, what's the answer to the question "Which one is better?
PostgreSQL or MySQL?"? I'm using SuSE Linux 8 and I need a high-performance
database which will contain about 2-3 GB of data (it's a mailserver logging
we have to keep for legal reasons). Is PostgreSQL the right choice? I
certainly hope it is, it hasn't disappointed me during the last few days,
but as I said, I'm rather new to Unix databases.

Thanks for your advice

-Manuel