Re: getTypeInfo() bug

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getTypeInfo() bug
Date: 2004-01-08 00:02:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think there is a bug in the DatabaseMetaData.getTypeInfo()
> implementation (or at least in pg73jdbc3.jar)
>
> From the documentation of that method:
>
> Retrieves a description of all the standard SQL types supported by this
> database. They are ordered by DATA_TYPE and then by how closely the data
> type maps to the corresponding JDBC SQL type.
>
> My understanding of this is, that the first TYPE_NAME (column 1 from the
> ResultSet) will match the DATA_TYPE best, the next one will second best
> etc.

Yes, as currently implemented getTypeInfo() isn't very useful for
selecting a DB type to use for a given JDBC type.

I submitted a patch to improve it a long time ago, but it wasn't applied
as it didn't build on 1.1 JVMs -- and I haven't have the time or need to
fix it up. It should be in the list archives somewhere if you're interested.

-O