Re: getBinaryStream/setBinaryStream 7.2<->7.4 Question

From: Harry Schittler <hs(at)multimedia-werkstatt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getBinaryStream/setBinaryStream 7.2<->7.4 Question
Date: 2003-12-29 21:18:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

Kris Jurka wrote:

>>I just upgraded from postgres 7.2 to 7.4 (pg72jdbc2.jar to
>>pg74.1jdbc3.jar), after the upgrade I got some behaviour I simpy dont
>>understand.
>>

>I have not been able to duplicate this in a variety of configurations. I
>suspect it may have something to do with the encoding used, but you have
>not indicated your exact setup. You say you upgraded from 7.2 to 7.4, but
>you only mention the JDBC driver, can you confirm that you upgraded the
>server as well? Also what encodings are the 7.2 and 7.4 databases running
>with? (You can get this from the \l command in psql.)

Sorry, I upgraded both, the Server from 7.2 to 7.4 and the jdbc driver
as stated above.
The orginal setup was an 7.2 server with "latin1" encoding and the jdbc
driver with default options. After upgrading the Server and the jdbc
driver everything worked fine except for data retrieved via
getBinaryStream() or getBytes() from a "bytea "column. Setting the data
works ok (I verified this...). Changeing the client encoding with the
charset property didn't help, only switching back to the older driver
fixes the problem.
Barry Lind told me he thinks this is a known bug in the server, which
causing translation of bytea data to unicode. He suggested switching the
database to unicode. But I'm still a bit confused, about a serverbug
that goes away when changing the client?

cu Harry