Re: Anyone working on pg_dump dependency ordering?

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anyone working on pg_dump dependency ordering?
Date: 2003-11-23 21:21:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
>

>>Well.. the second one will be much slower when the foreign keys verify.
>>Primary, unique constraints I'll buy in the create statement. Check
>>constraints and defaults are a little fuzzier.
>>

>FK, primary, and unique constraints are already split out from the
>CREATE TABLE for performance reasons. We could think about folding them
>back in in a schema-only dump, but in a full dump I don't think it's
>negotiable --- you really want to load the table data before you install
>these constraints.

IMHO here we have opposite requirements: The dump/restore process should
run as fast as possible, so constraints have to be generated separately,
but pg_dump is also used to reengineer and slightly modify the schema,
where it's helpful if definitions are grouped. I've been asked for
complete schema extraction features in pgAdmin3, and I replied 'use
pg_dump'. It seems that pg_dump tries to serve both requirements, being
a compromise where two dedicated tools could do it better.

Regards,
Andreas