Problem with 7.4 RPMS for Fedora Core 1

From: milimeter <milimeter(at)163(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with 7.4 RPMS for Fedora Core 1
Date: 2003-11-22 02:15:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello, everybody

Thanks to Lamar Owen that I downloaded the rpms for Fedora Core 1 which
I expected all the time after 7.4 was released.

But I found a somewhat weird problem with it. My fedora installation has
no postgresql at all, then I installed all rpms of 7.4, and then run
"service postgresql start" with root, I noticed that the initdb is
executed correctly, and I can access it with psql successfully, all seem
good. But, when I run "service postgresql stop" and then run "service
postgresql start" again, it failed to startup and give the following errors:
----->
An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade
the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-7.4/README.rpm-dist for more information.
<------

But I can run "postmaster -i" successfully with postgres user. So,
what's the problem?

Thanks you very much.
yours,
mili