Re: Need some help getting started

From: Marsh Ray <marsh-pg(at)mysteray(dot)com>
To: Dan <topdowndan(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need some help getting started
Date: 2003-10-25 22:38:04
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Dan wrote:

>I'm using Win XP Home
>
>I'm stuck on step 9 of these instructions:
>
>http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README
>
>It doesn't say whether I should run it as "postgres"
>or my "Dan" account, but neither seems to work.

I have to run it as my "User" account, i.e., the one that owns the files.
See:

I assume you've seen:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/text/FAQ_MSWIN

This is what got me over the hump for Windows XP Home:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2003-01/msg00068.php
I didn't find the advice in the readme helpful at all for setting rights
on XP Home.

>1) As "Dan", I get:
>cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService:
>Win32 error 1069:
>The service did not start due to a logon failure.

Do you have a password set for the account? That was necessary for me.

- Marsh