Re: further testing on IDE drives

From: Ang Chin Han <angch(at)bytecraft(dot)com(dot)my>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: further testing on IDE drives
Date: 2003-10-15 10:25:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes. If you were doing multiple WAL writes before transaction fsync,
> you would be fsyncing every write, rather than doing two writes and
> fsync'ing them both. I wonder if larger transactions would find
> open_sync slower?

No hard numbers, but I remember testing fsync vs open_sync something ago
on 7.3.x.

open_sync was blazingly fast for pgbench, but for when we switched our
development database over to open_sync, things slowed to a crawl.

This was some months ago, and I might be wrong, so take it with a grain
of salt. It was on Red Hat 8's Linux kernel 2.4.18, I think. YMMV.

Will be testing it real soon tonight, if possible.