Re: Server side resultset search (for performance reasons)

From: Jesus Sandoval <meli(at)mzt(dot)megared(dot)net(dot)mx>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server side resultset search (for performance reasons)
Date: 2003-08-02 16:56:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I re-issue my query with re-sorting (this work is better done by the DBMS, than a Java client side implemented sort, I think).
But the problem is that the application saves a pointer to the current record, and needs to point to the same record after the sort, even if the relative position into the resultset is not the same, I'll explain this with a little example of 6 records, position
is the relative record position into the actual resultset:
position primary key field
content content
1 a a6 <--- Current record
2 b a5
3 c a7
4 d a8
5 e a3
6 f a9

If the user makes an order by field content the resulting resultset is:
position primary key field
content content
1 e a3
2 b a5
3 a a6 <-- new current record
4 c a7
5 d a8
6 f a9

My application is able to do the reposition of the current record when the ResultSets are small, because
I save the primary-key content, before the re-query, and when I obtain the new query, I do a secuential scan of the previously saved primary key content.

The problem is with large resultsets (say 300,000 records for example) because I have to requery with limit (say 1000 records) and do a secuential scan there, if not found, re-query another 1000 records (with offset 1000) and scan there, then re-query another
1000 (now with offset 2000), and so on.... until I finish the 300,000 records or found the record that matches the saved primary-key.

If I could search (by a server side function) in the resultset and know about the relative position of the record containing the key, I only have to do one query with the calculated offset depending of this information.

Any ideas?????