Re: Duplicate key insert question

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: techlist(at)voyager(dot)phys(dot)utk(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate key insert question
Date: 2003-07-02 03:08:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> INSERT INTO mytable
> SELECT 'value1', 'value2'
> WHERE NOT EXISTS
> (SELECT NULL FROM mytable
> WHERE mycondition)

Thank you to everyone who helped out on my question. I am trying to
implement the above solution but I'm having problems getting this to
work when I want to insert more than one value:

TAL=# create table b (a text primary key, b text);
NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'b_pkey'
for table 'b'
CREATE TABLE
TAL=# insert into b select 'a';
INSERT 335311 1
TAL=# insert into b select 'b', select 'b';
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "select" at character 27

Did I get the syntax wrong?

Thanks,

Jean-Christian Imbeault