Re: Duplicate key insert question

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: techlist(at)voyager(dot)phys(dot)utk(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate key insert question
Date: 2003-07-02 00:45:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> Hi, not sure if this is answering your question, but I just asked similar
> questions here. I asked about using INSERT WHERE NOT EXISTS (which you can do
> in PostgreSQL). Here is what you can do:
>
> INSERT INTO mytable
> SELECT 'value1', 'value2'
> WHERE NOT EXISTS
> (SELECT NULL FROM mytable
> WHERE mycondition)
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&w=2&r=1&s=WHERE+NOT+EXISTS&q=b

Thanks for the link!

I read the thread and it looks like even the above solution is not
perfect because of a possible race condition where two inserts trying to
insert a row with a pk not in the table will both get think it is ok to
do so, try it and then both will fail?

If I followed all the arguments correctly according to the thread there
is *no* way to do what I (and you ;) want in one simple query.

Do you agree? Or did I miss something?

Jean-Christian Imbeault