Re: count * performance issue

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: sathiya psql <sathiya(dot)psql(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: postgresql performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: count * performance issue
Date: 2008-03-06 12:13:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

On 6-Mar-08, at 6:58 AM, sathiya psql wrote:

> The only thing that is going to help you is really fast disks, and
> more memory, and you should consider moving to 8.3 for all the other
> performance benefits.
> Is 8.3 is a stable version or what is the latest stable version of
> postgres ??

Yes it is the latest stable version.
> moving my database from 7.4 to 8.3 will it do any harm ??

You will have to test this yourself. There may be issues
> what are all the advantages of moving from 7.4 to 8.3

Every version of postgresql has improved performance, and robustness;
so you will get better overall performance. However I want to caution
you this is not a panacea. It will NOT solve your seq scan problem.