Re: images in database

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Arjen van der Meijden <acm(at)tweakers(dot)net>
Cc: "'Shridhar Daithankar'" <shridhar_daithankar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, "'Postgresql General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: images in database
Date: 2003-04-03 14:39:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Arjen van der Meijden wrote:
> > Enough reasons to forget about filename storage?
> Imho it entirely depends on the requirements, your reasons to not go for
> the local filesystem are quite good, but the main reason to go for the
> FS is also a very important one in some situations.
>
> So it becomes a "correctness and ease of use vs raw performance and
> system load (including distribution of tasks)" comparison, I guess.

Sure, the "correctness" of the pix isn't that important, speed counts
... except maybe if "naked" is only important because of photo technical
issues - like for Xray?

You're right, it depends on the requirements. The problem is that people
tend to do again and again what they've done before (cut'n'paste
programmers) without really reevaluating how the solution fit's into the
new requirements.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #