Re: Bytea misconceptions

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bytea misconceptions
Date: 2003-02-19 17:47:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> In general, the only safe solution would be to escape *all* byte
> values on output. Then the client can reconstruct the byte sequence based
> on the character entities in the delivered string and does not have to
> rely on the character codes staying the same during the conversion.

Seems like this brings us back to using hex for bytea, ala BLOB in
SQL99. What would be the implications of changing byteain and byteaout
to use X'FFFFFF' instead of '\377\377\377'?

I guess backward compatibility is a big problem. Maybe make it
configurable: all octal escaped or all hex. Is it better to create a
completely new datatype?

Joe