Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Curt Sampson <cjs(at)cynic(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Curtis Faith <curtis(at)galtcapital(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Windows Build System
Date: 2003-02-02 03:42:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Curt Sampson wrote:
<snip>
> What I'm hearing here is that all we really need to do to "compete" with
> MySQL on Windows is to make the UI a bit slicker. So what's the problem
> with someone building, for each release, a set of appropriate
binaries, and
> someone making a slick install program that will install postgres,
> install parts of cygwin if necessary, and set up postgres as a service?

The non-code related parts of the Win32 port of PostgreSQL that are
being looked at:

+ Working on the packaging bits (slick install program) already. Have
created a project - pgsqlwin - on GBorg to hold any specific bits we need.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgsqlwin/projdisplay.php

First release of the *extremely alpha* "Proof of Concept" version is at:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pgsql/PgSQL731wina1.exe?download

+ Concerned about including GPL stuff without having 100% totally
investigated the ramifications for people including the Win32 version of
PostgreSQL as a built-in part of their applications. Not going to
commit anything even slightly GPL related to that GBorg project until it
100% safe to do so without affect our ability to release it as BSD.
Have some preliminary information regarding this, but just need to wrap
my head around it properly. Not going to look at it closely for another
week or so.

+ It would be greatly helpful to have some way for the install program
to automatically add the "Log in as a service" Win32 priviledge to the
"postgres" user without having to instruct the user to do so. We can
create the user automatically through a shell command, but no idea how
to add that permission. If someone could do some Win32 API stuff to do
it behind the scenes without a shell command even, that would be great.

+ The WinMaster project is a first go at creating a Win32 GUI command
console for controlling the PostgreSQL service. It's still a bit too
basic for real use though:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/winmaster/projdisplay.php

Further suggestions, volunteers, etc are totally welcome.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> cjs