Re: the "/usr/local/pgsql/data" directory size

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Al Bean <albean84(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the "/usr/local/pgsql/data" directory size
Date: 2002-12-06 18:28:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
>>Other things I can think of:
>>1. Reduce NAMEDATALEN
>>2. Reduce INDEX_MAX_KEYS
>
> Neither of those are likely to change the disk footprint a lot, since
> the system catalogs aren't a significant proportion of any real-world
> database, I should think.

I was thinking of the benchmarking results we did for 7.3.

This one:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-08/msg00258.php
showed about 12 to 15% increase in individual database size when changing from
INDEX_MAX_KEYS = 16 to INDEX_MAX_KEYS = 32.

And this one:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-08/msg00333.php
showed about 11% increase increase in individual database size when changing
from NAMEDATALEN = 32 to NAMEDATALEN = 64.

For an embedded application, these kinds of savings might be important.

Joe